FAIL (the browser should render some flash content, not this).

mainstream vouchers

What are mainstream program vouchers?
Mainstream program vouchers enable families having a person with disabilities to lease affordable private housing of their choice. Mainstream program vouchers also assist persons with disabilities who often face difficulties in locating suitable and accessible housing on the private market.

What families are eligible to apply for mainstream program vouchers?
Only a family that includes a disabled person and is income eligible may receive a mainstream program voucher. Applicants will be selected from the housing choice voucher waiting list.

How does a PHA determine if a family is income eligible for the mainstream program vouchers?
LHA compares the family’s annual income (gross income) with the HUD-established very low-income limit or low income limit for the area. The family's gross income cannot exceed this limit.

How do families obtain mainstream program vouchers?
When an eligible family with a disabled person comes to the top of Lincoln Housing Authority’s  housing choice voucher waiting list and there is a Mainstream voucher available,  LHA issues a Mainstream housing choice voucher to the family.

How do families obtain an apartment once they have a voucher?
It is the responsibility of a family to find a unit that meets their needs. If the family finds a unit that meets the housing quality standards, the rent is reasonable, and the unit meets other program requirements, the PHA executes a HAP contract with the property owner. This contract authorizes the PHA to make subsidy payments on behalf of the family. If the family moves out of the unit, the contract with the owner ends and the family can move with continued assistance to another unit

How much rent do vouchers cover?
The PHA pays the owner the difference between 30 percent of family income and PHA determined payment standard or gross rent whichever is lower. The family may choose a unit with a higher rent than the payment standard and pay the owner the difference.

Do families have to lease a unit in the jurisdiction where the PHA issued the voucher?
No. A family may choose a unit anywhere in the United States where there is a PHA that administers a tenant based voucher program. However, the family may only use the voucher to lease a unit in an area where the family is income eligible at admission to the program.

What regulations cover this voucher?
Regulations are found in 24 CFR Part 982


additional INFORMATION